top of page

Our History

Our church's early roots began in 1904 when six families cleared land in what was then called Taylorville to build the first church. Located near current-day Greenwood Cemetery, several faiths, including Methodists, worshipped at the Union Church in alternating services for 15 years.
The official founding of our church is November, 1909, when nine charter members organized a Methodist Church. The charter members were: Elliott E. Edge, Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Sampey, Miss Annie Sampey, Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Averitt, Mr. and Mrs. E.M. Rice and Mrs. Maude Rice. 
Edge Memorial United Methodist Church was founded in November, 1909, by nine charter members when the city of Groveland was called Taylorville. One of the co-founders was E.E. Edge, for whom the church is named in memory of his support of the church and Methodist-supported missions, including Florida Southern College. Edge, and his son L.Day Edge, were lifelong members of the church and were also successful business leaders. L. D. Edge was the city's first mayor and the youngest ever Florida Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Here is a timeline of the church's history following that historic beginning:

  • 1909 - The Methodist Church in Groveland is organized.

  • 1910 - The first Sunday School at the church is held.

  • 1914 - A choir is organized with Mrs. Cornelia Edge and Mrs. Cora Sampey as organists.

  • 1920 - A new church was constructed on land donated by John W. Beach. It is the site of the present church. A two-story parsonage was constructed next door.

  • 1927 - First Methodist Church, South (as it was called then), is dedicated. The following year a Sunday School classrooms, a dining room and kitchen were built next to the church.

  • 1934 - Following the death of E.E. Edge, the congregation voted unanimously to change the name of the church to Edge Memorial Methodist Church.

  • 1950 - The Hill Building social hall was built with a legacy gift left by William Hill, a longtime Men's Bible Class teacher.

  • 1958 - A new education building was dedicated.

  • 1966 - A newly remodeled sanctuary was dedicated. 

  • 1968 - A new parsonage on Waldo Street was built.

  • 1978 - Mrs. Annie Sampey Carter, the last surviving charter member, passed away.

  • 1980 - The church's stained glass windows were restored and installed in the church bays.

  • 1982 - The church assumed ownership and responsibility for Greenwood Cemetery. 

  • 1991 - The church joined the Baptist, Lutheran and Groveland Free Church in the first Main Avenue Christmas Stroll.

  • 1998 - The Rev. Jennifer Stiles-Williams was appointed as the first female minister to serve the church.

  • 2000 - A contemporary service debuts and the parsonage is renovated.

  • 2009 - The church celebrates its centennial with a variety of activities and services. Marie Roberts organized a memorabilia display.


 For a list of pastors who have served Edge Memorial united Methodist Church click below.
bottom of page